Valentine's Card Tutorial

Hello there! Valentine's Day will be here before we know it and today I have a card tutorial for you for some inspiration.
 

I decided to make a different shaped card using a Sizzix Framelits Hexagon die.


This Hexagon Framelits Plus set is a new large set made for the Big Shot Plus or Pro Machines.  There are 15 pieces in this set, the largest is 7 3/4" x 8 7/8" and the smallest is 3/4" x 3/4".  I used a framelits that measured 6 x 5 1/4" for my card base.  This size still fit into my Big Shot or Vagabond machine, but the larger sizes require a machine with a larger width.  I folded a piece of patterned paper (Blue Fern's Blush collection) in half and lightly taped the framelits on top.


I let the top edge overhang so it doesn't cut out on the edge.


I place the edge just outside of the folded paper.


Here's what the card base looks like after die-cutting.  The Sizzix Sandwich I used for die-cutting framelits is Magnetic Platform Base, Standard Cutting Pad, Paper, Die, Standard Cutting Pad.


For my large heart I used Sizzix's Layered Valentine Bigz die.  The scalloped heart was die-cut with vellum and the plain heart was with thin chipboard.


For my chipboard heart I used a Ranger Embossing Dabber over the entire surface.  I then applied embossing powder(Lindy's Chateau Rose), heat, then repeated with another layer of embossing powder.  While this was still hot I had a rubber (not Acrylic) Tim Holtz Flower Garden(CMS215) stamp waiting and pressed it into the melted embossing powder and then removed.  That is how I got the impression on the left side.  I than applied a glittered embossing powder(Cotton Candy from Blue Fern) on the right side.


On the front of my card I drew a line all the way around the card with an embossing pen and then applied embossing powder (Lindy's Cafe` au Lait). 


My flowers were created with patterned paper and vellum.  I used Sizzix's Tim Holtz Tattered Floral Bigz die for the vellum ones.  These were edged with the Ranger Embossing Dabber and then embossing powder (Chateau Rose') applied.  The others were die-cut from the Tim Holtz Tiny Tattered Florals Thinlits Die(my favourite!).


I also hand cut some flowers and small envelope from my patterned paper.  I adhered these first, then pop dotted my heart, and adhered the die-cut flowers.  My die-cut word, "love" was die-cut from the Sizzix Tim Holtz Celebration Script Word Thinlits die, then embossing powder(Lindy's Cafe' au Lait) applied.



Here's another look at my card.  I really like this hexagon shape for a change, might have to make a few more!  

Thanks for stopping by,

Jan







5 comments

Mimi said...

Omg, gorgeous! Love this! :) inspiring.

Words and Pictures said...

Love the hexagon shape, and the vintage floral take on Valentine's.
Alison x

AngelkissesbyLinda said...

Jan, This card is Gorgeous, I love the shape and using both sides of the 12 x 12 paper is super....I'm going to make one, thanks for the idea!!

Deb said...

Gorgeous Jan, love the embossed heart and your flowers are so beautiful! Deb xo

Unknown said...

absolutely gorgeous Jan. I love the embossed flower.

Back to Top