Day of the Dead Card

Hello there!  I have another Halloween card today for you.  Although if you look out my window today, it looks more like Christmas.  It started snowing Friday night and it has not stopped....not happy.  As I look at my daughter's Instagram photos of her laying on a beach in Miami, I'm really wondering, what am I doing here?  Hopefully it disappears soon, but something tells me it might be here to stay.  Ugh! Anyways, back to Halloween.


Love the new Day of the Dead stamps by Tim Holtz (CMS277) and I thought the smaller image would fit perfect in the new Sizzix Tim Holtz Ornate Frame.


The Ornate Frame #2 Bigz die is a steel-rule die, which means beside being thicker, it not only cuts out cardstock, but cuts out thicker materials.  Chipboard, fabric, foam, magnet sheets, leather, foil,  or plastic sheets.  I chose chipboard for my frame, as I wanted to cover it with different mediums.  All you need are your two cutting pads and your material on top of the die in-between those.


After die-cutting my frame, I covered it with Tim Holtz Distress Grit-Paste.  Let this dry.



Once your Grit-Paste has dried, paint it with your chosen colours.  I used Distress Wilted Violet and a touch of Black Soot paint to darken some areas.  After my painted frame was dry, I sprayed some of Dylusions Crushed Grape and Distress Antiqued Bronze Mica sprays.  



These Mica Sprays when dry, give a beautiful glimmer of mica to your projects.  I say, when dry, as the mica doesn't show up as much until your item that has been sprayed, has dried.  Each designer from Ranger Ink has their own set of three mica sprays.  They are all yummy!



I stamped my image on a piece of lightly patterned vintage looking paper will archival ink.  I then coloured in my image with Zig Clean Colour Markers.  I think, because this stamp is very detailed, I wouldn't be as heavy on the stamping.  I feel I lost some of the fine details with too much ink.  Trim the stamped paper and adhere to the back of your frame. 



For my black mat that's behind the frame, I took black cardstock (we have this beautiful matte finish black at the store) and embossed it with Sizzix's Tim Holtz Damask Texture Fades Folder.  To finish off the edges, I used Prima's Dresden Trim, which is embossed paper, cut, and covered in a layer of metallic foil.  This foil can be coloured, which I did with Black Soot paint and Prima Art Alchemy Dark Velvet Metallique paint.  I just used my fingertip and applied the paint on the embossed raised areas. I cut the strips to fit my mat and then they were adhered around the edges.


For my little Oct. 31 label, I die-cut the word from Sizzix's Tim Holtz Halloween Thin Words Thinlits set from red matte metallic cardstock, then matted on black.  My Sizzix Sandwich for die-cutting in my Big Shot was:  Magnetic Platform, Standard Cutting Pad, paper, Thinlits die (cutting side facing down) Standard Cutting Pad. The ends of my labels were hand-cut.



I finished off the inside with a mat Damask die-cut using Sizzix's Tim Holtz Mixed Media Halloween Thinlits die.  The red metallic paper was adhered behind it.  Happy Halloween was die-cut from the Tim Holtz Thin Halloween Words set also.  These letters are really tiny and thin, so adhering to your page is a little tricky to get them straight.  I apply piece of an adhesive sheet to the back of my paper before die-cutting.  Once die-cut, remove the negative piece of paper, the letters usually stay inside.  Then you can place the metal die on your paper and push through the little holes to eject your letters.


To finish off my card, I adhered a bow and skeleton charm (Tim Holtz) to the bottom corner.  The polka dot cardstock I used is from Echo Park.

Thanks so much for visiting!

Jan


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

4 comments

Sharon Y said...

So fun Jan! Love how the frame turned out. The embossed mat with that yummy trim really takes the card to another level.

Deb said...

Wonderful Jan, love the texture on the frame and your senorita fits perfectly in the frame. Snowing here too if that's any consolation, hope it stops soon for you! Deb xo

Unknown said...

This is amazing Jan! Love the ornate frame!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is fantastic! (I'm not sure where you are, but snow already? Ugh. I'm in Connecticut and we had a very cold rain recently. One year we had snow on Halloween! But that's unusual for this area. Dec to Feb are our typical months for snow.)

Back to Top