A Dashing Deer Christmas Card

Hi everyone!  I know it's been quiet here on my blog, but I've still been busy crafting away.  
I have a Christmas card here on the blog today featuring Sizzix's Tim Holtz Dashing Deer Bigz die.


This deer goes so well with all the Christmas plaids out there.


I die cut the dashing deer from chipboard.  With bigz dies, you just need to sandwich your die  and material between two cutting pads.


After I die-cut the deer, I embossed the bottom half with Sizzix's Holly Ribbon Texture Fade.


The embossed die-cut was then painted with black gesso.

To highlight the embossed areas, I dry brushed (wiping most of the paint off your brush before applying lightly) with Fired Brick and Tarnished Brass Distress Paint.


The dry brushing gives the deer an aged look.


To finish off the deer, I applied a coat of Ranger's Crackle Accents.  Once this had dried, I applied Black Soot Distress Paint and wiped it off, leaving it just in the cracks.


Apply a touch of Tim Holtz Clear Rock Candy dry glitter with glossy accents, on the edges of the antlers and body to give him a festive look.  Snip off a piece of pine trim, with a small Tim Holtz pinecone charm and a ribbon bow complete my deer.


The plaid oval behind my deer was created with Sizzix's Tim Holtz Stitched Oval Thinlits set, black glitter paper, and plaid patterned paper from Tim Holtz Tidings Paper Stash.  I die-cut the two ovals, then on the plaid one, pulled off the stitched edge.  The black oval was adhered to my matted card (Tim Holtz paper), then the plaid oval was pop-dotted on top.  


I added in a knit looking strip die-cut from the Sizzix Tim Holtz Holiday Knit Thinlits set.  There's five different pieces, which can be used alone or all together.  When I combine  two different colours together, I place scotch tape on the back of the die-cut before removing from the die.  Usually it's the one with all the little pieces.  When they are left on the tape after carefully removing the paper from the die, they stay in place and are so easy to place behind the other die-cut.  I even leave the tape on the back to keep them in place.


Before adhering the deer, I added in some Tim Holtz Tidings Ephemera, my holiday knit piece, and some greens punched out from the Sizzix Tim Holtz Juniper Punch and cardstock.  Finish off with a Christmas Sentiment from Tim Holtz Metallic Holiday Talk and Metallic Label Sticker.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jan



7 comments

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Pinned!!! Love this... Every detail!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful Jan! All the little details are so well done. TFS!

Kelly said...

Gorgeous as always Jan. That's a cool scotch tape trick. You make it sound easy. Every detail is super thoughtful. <3

Paula Cheney said...

This is a holiday favorite Jan! I love how you used the Holiday Knit and the Stitched Ovals. Clever to pull the stitched edge away and just use the "pinked" edge. Love it!

Sharon Y said...

Love it! The plaid oval with the black frame makes it look,like a window. The deer is stunning.

Roslyn said...

Hi Jan,
This is Roslyn -remember me? Your creations are as amazing as always!
I'm actually trying to reach Pat as I'd like to ask her a favour (reference request). Could you pass on my email address to her for me (roslyn.oneillATgmailDOTcom) or send me hers if she is ok with it?
I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Matha said...

Beautiful card.

Back to Top