SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

Hello friends!  I'm starting off the Halloween season with this Wicked Framed Panel.


A background created with alcohol inks and Yupo paper was my inspiration for this framed Halloween Decor project.


I love playing with alcohol inks and Yupo paper, it's addicting!  Yupo is a synthetic non-porous paper that is waterproof and holds alcohol ink beautifully.  I created this background with my Ranger Alcohol inks (Black Soot, Eggplant, Pebbles), Felt Applicator Tool and Blending Solution.  The blending solution or Rubbing Alcohol solution removes colour.  Just apply a few drops of colour on your felt applicator and dab away! To get the spiderweb image on top, ink your chosen stamp (I used Tim Holtz CMS306 Skulls & Cobwebs) with Archival Ink (has to be Archival for the reaction), stamp on the dried alcohol inked paper.  Immediately swipe your inked image with a baby wipe as this Archival ink reacts with the Alcohol ink and pulls away the colour. You are left with an ink resist image.  My paper was slightly larger than my background stamp, so I stamped it twice more on the two sides.


My "Wicked" word is created with Sizzix's Tim Holtz Vintage Spirits Thinlits set and cut out twice, once with black chalk cardstock and silver Tim Holtz Kraft cardstock.  I adhere the bottom layer slightly off from the top layer.  This was adhered with pop-dots for added dimension.


The grungy looking scrolls were die-cut with Sizzix's Tim Holtz Scroll Bigz die and chipboard.  I then applied Tim Holtz Distress Grit Paste all over the scrolls.  After these dried, I applied colour using Distress Oxide Inks.  I applied the inks to my craft mat, spritzed with water, then painted my scrolls.  Once dried, I spritzed a bit of Distress Spray stain and Brushed Pewter Mica Spray on my mat, then randomly painted parts of the scrolls.  The Distress Rock Candy glitter was tinted with Eggplant Alcohol ink.


My paper flowers were created with Sizzix's Tim Holtz Tiny Tattered Florals Thinlits set, the resin black flowers are Tim Holtz Halloween Heirloom Roses 93613.  The key is Tim Holtz Halloween Word Keys 93600.  I love adding colour to metal embellishments!  Just alcohol ink or dab on paint and wipe of the excess as I did here.  My frame (Tim Holtz Framed Panel Structure 93288) has been altered by painting black first, then a coat of Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint, and Hickory Smoke distress paint applied, then excess wiped off.


After matting my web background onto cardstock, then framing, I adhered all my embellishments.  There's also an Idea-ology Spider (TH93597), Paper doll Witches slightly tinted(TH93610), Shaped Bat Token (TH93614) Tinsel Trimming (TH93608) added to my frame.

Thanks for dropping by!  There's more Halloween on the way!


Jan

5 comments

ann barnes said...

This is absolutely stunning! The alcohol ink background creates the perfect mood for the wicked witches and wonderful embellishments. 🖤

Paula Cheney said...

this is absolutely fantastic. The alcohol ink background is stunning...I'm going back for another look!

Barbara said...

I'm in love with this panel! fabulous work! Barbara

Unknown said...

This is awesome Jan! Love, love, love the background!

sarascloset said...

What a fabulous and creative Halloween project! Your Yupo resist came out beautifully and that cobweb really shows off that technique!

Back to Top