DECORATE FOR HALLOWEEN WITH THIS COFFIN VIGNETTE TRAY

  Hi Everyone!  Today I'm sharing a project for Tim Holtz Halloween Inspiration 2017.


When you see all the new amazing Halloween Idea-olgy products, how can you not want to make a 3D project!  Every year, there's just so many cool pieces added to Tim's collection of goodies and they all fit so well with past products.  I also have a thing about boxes with wheels or neat legs, so I had to add some to my project!



Here's the back of my coffin.




I love creating with Tim Holtz Vignette boxes and trays, and this Tray Coffin (TH93621) is a great size (9 x 4 3/4") for a spooky scene.  I covered the inside and outside with patterned papers from the 8x8 Halloween Paper Stash pad (TH93595).  The edge was covered with Sparkle Design Tape (TH93612) which even though it is adhesive backed, I like to adhere it with Tim Holtz Collage Medium just to make it more secure.



I knew I wanted to hang some sort of little sign, so I screwed in these Tim Holtz Screw Eyes (TH93010) to the top inside.




This Tim Holtz Witchcraft Die (662386) from Sizzix is one of my favourites from this year's release.  I die-cut several of the witch and adhered them together to create a thicker piece.  One of the pieces was embossed with the Damask Texture Fade(661592) embossing folder.  This piece was the last piece adhered on top.



This is what my witch looks like close up.  Now that the witch die-cut is thicker, the piece will stand up better.


After picking out my word I wanted to spell, I attached the black Idea-ology Alpha Dice(TH93620) together with glue dots.  I made them a little lopsided, so it looks like the witch has stacked them up herself.


I chose this die-cut hand from the Idea-ology Ephemera (TH93603) for my "sign".  I was going to use the word wicked, but it was a little too crowded, so I went with "31" instead, using the Halloween Typography Findings (TH93611).  I think these Typography letters, whether they are white or black,  are my favourite 3d letters to use!  Insert two rings and place a bone from Boneyard Findings (TH93696) through the rings.


There's a Twisted branch behind the witch, which was die-cut from Sizzix Twisted Edge 661589 and Tim Holtz Distress Woodgrain cardstock (TDA51022).  I sprayed these pieces with Black Soot Distress spray, and then Distress Mica Spray in Bronze.



I've added a bit of Distress paint in Ripe Persimmon to the edges and raised areas of my witch, branch, and "31". 



Before creating my vignette, I wanted to construct my platform for the coffin.  Of course it had to be on wheels!  These Mini Pulley Wheels were lightly painted with Distress Paint (Black Soot and Ripe Persimmon).  


I covered a small Vignette Box (4 x 2 3/4") with paper from the 8x8 Halloween Kraft Paper Stash(93609).  This paper looks so good when distressed!


Previously I've had a bit of a dilemma when attaching legs or wheels into structures that are thicker than the screws.  I've actually carved out some of the wood to attach them, which was kind of a pain! I came up with this idea, which is also makes it easier to remove the wheels if you need to.  I wanted the flat surface on top, plus I wanted just half of each wheel showing under the box.  I cut a piece of thick chipboard, covered one side with the Kraft paper and screwed my wheels into that piece.  I also cut out a couple of pieces of chipboard to adhere inside the box (it was a little too deep).


After adhering the chipboard to the inside, I adhered my piece with the wheels attached.  Use a strong adhesive, or even a glue gun to make sure it stays glued.

Here's how it looks after the wheels were attached.  Adhere your coffin tray to the top center.



I have made my own tissue fringe garland in the past, but it's time consuming.  So nice to have this Fringe garland (th93615) ready to scrunch up!  Just scrunch it up in your hand, the more you do it, the smaller and tighter it gets.  This piece is for the perimeter of my base.


I coloured one of these Halloween Word Bands (TH93605).  Just apply your paint and wipe off the excess, leaving it in the recessed areas.  This was adhered to the front with the fringe attached on each side.



Added to my display, were flowers made with Sizzix Tattered Florals Thinlits Dies (661806) and cardstock.  The centers have Heirloom Halloween Roses (TH93613) highlighted with a bit of paint.  There's a Halloween Framed Portrait (TH93616), a stack of Mini Pumpkins(TH93607), an altered Apothecary Vial(TH93231), Spider Adornment (TH93597) and Broomstick (TH93598).  I added some glitter to my broomstick by dipping the bottom into Ranger's Glossy Accents and then Distress Black Soot Glitter.  The little glitter stars were die-cut with the stars die from the Sizzix Witchcraft set (662386) and double sided adhesive.  Remove the backing from one side of the stars and apply your glitter, then remove the other to adhere.


A closer peak at the back!  My web was created with Sizzix's Tim Holtz Cobweb Die (662375) and Mixed Media Cardstock.  It was inked with various colours of Distress Oxide Inks before die cutting. The dapper Skeleton is from the Halloween Ephemera Package (TH93603).

I hope I've explained everything, here's another look!


Thanks so much for stopping by!  Make sure you check out all of the Halloween projects featured through out the month on Tim's Blog!















9 comments

sarascloset said...

This is a fantastic 3D Halloween project, and it was great fun seeing it all come together! Thank you for sharing your tips and your clever way of adding the wheels on the vignette box. Thank you for the inspiration! Happy Halloween!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

FABULOUS!!! I LOVE the hand...like it's spilling everything out. So cool and fun!

Marci said...

I love you he witch diecut especially! You just used an embossing folder, nothing else to make that design?

Rea' said...

Fabtabulous... my goodness... the creativity just awesome... took me a minute to make out the witch ...haha ; How cool is that ?? And it is on WHEELS too !!!

Unknown said...

Love that witch! Great step-by-step Jan. TFS!

Rosetta Savage-Jenkins said...

OMG! Love the coffin of spooky joy. From the great hand to the wheels, full of surprises. Well done Jan. Also your tutorial was such a gift!

Kelly said...

Another crazy amazing project full of details. Tim must be drooling!

Unknown said...

Jan, would you share with me some steps you did for your coffin wreath!? I cant find contact info anywhere!

Jan Hobbins said...

Hi Sarah! I have a brief description of my coffin wreath on a post from October 31, 2015!https://janhobbins.blogspot.com/2015/10/happy-halloween.html

Back to Top