TIM HOLTZ CHIPPY BROWNSTONE


 Hello friends!  I haven't created a Tim Holtz Village piece for awhile and after seeing a blog post by the very talented Autumn from Sew Paper Paint where she created a chippy distressed card using the 3D Lumber Embossing Folder, I knew I wanted to try it on a Village House.  I used the Village Brownstone here.



I've placed my house on an altered Vignette box for a base.



 Some spanish moss was added around the base to hide the bottom of the house.


I wanted to keep my house vignette very neutral in colour, as I think I'm going to create a few more in the different house sizes.  I have a narrow ledge, that I would like to display them.  We'll see.....big ideas, so little time.


Following Amber's tutorial I created two pieces of chippy embossed lumber paper using Tim Holtz Mixed Media Cardstock.  My favourite heavy weight paper to use when using mixed media products.  I did lose a bit of the embossing depth after distressing, but I managed to run it through again, once everything was pretty much dry, slightly damp.  You just have to line everything up exactly where it embossed the first time.  I did lose a bit of crackle texture, but that just made it look even more distressed.  If you haven't created a Village Dwelling, I go into more detail in this post or this Halloween Manor Dwelling here.


Love the look of this chippy cardstock!


I also used the new Tim Holtz Fixer Upper Thinlits set to add on awnings (Idea-ology paper), door and trim from the embossed cardstock.


For my roof and shingles, I sprayed Tim Holtz Woodgrain Cardstock with Distress Stains and then applied Distress Oxide inks to give my paper an aged look.


After adhering my roof, shingles, and window frames I adhered the door to the end of the Brownstone.  There's usually a larger door/window there, but I put covered up the top part of the opening with my embossed cardstock and glued the door with an awning there.  Then the step was adhered.  The chimney was made from distress woodgrain cardstock with some texture paste added and aged before adhering to my roof.


Here's another look at the chippy awesomeness!


Doesn't this look like real aged wood?


Next came the vignette box base.  I have a thing about little boxes or containers, love them.  I have a few antique ones, but didn't want to use them so I decided to make my own using one of Tim's Vignette boxes(TH93279) and a Vignette Panel (93295) for a lid.


I had so much fun created this really old looking box, I want to make more!  I'm addicted to this aged crackling!  Just getting in the mood, before I start creating for Halloween!


I covered the top with paper first, then antiqued it with Distress Oxide inks.  Then added in some Ranger Crackle Texture Paste.  This was distressed with Distress Crayons and inks.  I used Tim Holtz  Design Tape around the edges.  Even though it's adhesive backed, I use a collage medium or a liquid glue, so it's more durable.  The edges were treated with crackle texture paste, then distressed.  I added in torn bits of paper and a few labels(Idea-ology ephemera) after.  For the labels, I just scrapped off the area where I wanted to glue them so the crackled paste was around the label.


The inside was covered in paper that was distressed with Distress ink and Oxides.  This was done after I put the hinge on.  I used Tim Holtz Hinges (TH93075) painted, and nails from his Vignette Hardware(TH93668).  They did poke through the box, but I added a few strips of chipboard to cover up the nails before gluing in my paper, so that end looks slightly thicker. Design tape was applied to the edges here also.


Here's another look at my Chippy Brownstone!  A big thank you to Autumn for the inspiration!

Thanks so much for stopping by, have a great weekend!

Jan

17 comments

Paula Cheney said...

Thank you for the tutorial on the chippy house. I have ready Ambers tutorial fo the chippy surface but you have taken it a step further I think using it to create the Vignette Box. WOW! WOW! WOW!

ann barnes said...

This is such an incredible creation Jan! I love the look of the box and house, the neutral tones and chippy finish is really awesome. I bet the ledge of buildings would be fabulous, I do hope you can find time to make them. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

This is stunning. Thank you for sharing.

ArtfullyJune said...

This is awesome, just fabulous!

Unknown said...

What an incredible house! I love it.

Troldinden said...

I love it <3

Nancy Wethington said...

OMG this is so adorable. One of the cutest houses I've ever seen - EVER!

Paper Wishes said...

Your house is amazing the textures and realistic colours are perfect. I absolutely love the box At first I thought you had used an original vintage box. The pealing off paper really does make it utterly convincing. fantastic effects all over. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Sherri said...

Wow!!! Your talent never ceases to amaze me!! Love your chippy house!! I hope you add to your collection soon. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for Halloween.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

A new favorite village piece for sure! I LOVE every bit Jan, the siding, the windows, how you mounted it...all excellent. Pinned!

A Pink said...

Absolutely Incredible, Jan. I'm sat here swooning and in complete awe at your amazing creativity. One of the best projects I've seen all year tfs x

Tamera said...

Incredible!! Absolutely love the worn, aged, chippiness! Thanks for the details and closeups! Gotta try this soon. Looking forward to seeing your chippy village.

Unknown said...

Wow! It does look like real wood, I've got to try this chippy technique. TFS Jan

sarascloset said...

What a sweet little shabby shed! I love that you tried Autumn's tutorial and got such fabulous results! Those awnings and base are the icing on this gorgeous 'cake'! Hugs! Sara Emily

Rea' said...

Oh my word Jan this is just too cool; those textures are fabulous and the roof...WOW !! I pinned it ... so I can come back and revisit the tutorial... this just might be the one to win me over ! :)

Unknown said...

Love, love and love it!!!

Unknown said...

this is just so great! i am trying so hard to get this look on my village dwelling but somehow the steps are not coming together.

after the embossing part, what did you do to make the distress layers. i tried following autumn's tutorial but still ended up with no crackles.

i can't figure out if there is paint involved somewhere or does the crackle paste go directly onto the card stock.

halp!

Back to Top