FRIGHTFUL THINGS - TIM HOLTZ SIZZIX CHAPTER 3 RELEASE

Hi everyone!  It's been awhile, hasn't it?  I've been busy enjoying what sunshine and warm weather we have managed to get this cooler spring and summer.  In the many rainy moments, days, weeks, I've also been busy creating for Tim Holtz's Sizzix Chapter 3 release.  I was thrilled to be asked to create some samples for this Halloween and Christmas release.  If you missed Tim's Facebook Live, you can visit his blog here for the link. He not only revealed his new dies, but shared over 70 amazing projects created by his designers!  He also has links to all their blogs, where you're most likely to find a tutorial or feature on some of these projects, so make sure you check it out!


Today I'm sharing the first project I created, this Etcetera Halloween tag!


I love creating Halloween Vignettes and all the new dies are perfect for adding that personal and whimsical touch.  I used these two on my tag. How can you resist those ghosts?!  This window frame can be used all year round too.
Frightful Things
Window Frame
Speaking of ghosts, I went for a glossy, slightly dimensional look.  Here's how I created them.




I first die-cut my ghosts from Tim Holtz Watercolour cardstock.  This cardstock has texture on one side and smooth on the other.  The smooth is great for stamping, but I used the texture side.  After they were die-cut, I applied a small amount of Distress OxideInk.  It was applied to my mat, then spritzed with water.  I lightly dipped my ghosts, just enough for a few small splatters and dots.


These were embossed with clear embossing powder several times. You can also use extra thick embossing powder (remember Utee?)  I always keep my clear powder in a small plastic container, so easy for dipping and very little spillage.  When heating your embossing powder, you can dip the piece immediately once it's all melted, into more embossing powder (it will stick to the hot die-cut) eliminating another application of embossing ink.  I always use my craft tweezers to hold my small pieces, no burnt fingers!

The extra layers of clear embossing give the die-cut more dimension.  I even dipped the die-cut into my Oxide ink between a few layers and then used heat again, before adding another layer of powder.  Experiment for your own look! 


The other pieces were die-cut with regular cardstock, watercolour paper, and Tim Holtz Substrate Paper.(TH93291- has been retired but some places still have some left or Sizzix has leather paper still)  This paper has a soft suede feel to it, die-cuts like butter, and the Oxide inks look so good on it. I used it with the pumpkin, broom and cat.  For more dimension on the skeleton head and bones, I die-cut it out of watercolour paper, and also adhesive back craft foam sheet.  The black cardstock was cut out so that it was behind the skull eyes and mouth and slightly longer so the bones could be attached, then adhered behind the foam piece.  The watercolour cardstock on top.



This Window Frame is a Bigz die, so it can be die-cut with thicker material.  I used chipboard. This die also has a background piece if you choose to use. Instead of paper I used an Ephemera piece and also a piece of Mica sheet, not too thick; the layers can be peeled apart. (bought from Amazon).  A couple of corners were snipped out with scissors.


The window was painted with black gesso, then Ranger Crackle Texture paste randomly applied.  Once dry, I accented the cracks with Distress Crayons.



Idea-ology Halloween Worn Wallpaper covered my Etcetera Tag and slightly sanded on the edges.


I used Etcetera Trim that was gessoed with Black, then also crackled for my small shelf.



Arrange your die-cut pieces on your tag.  I glued down a small bit of moss before adhered the pieces to my shelf.  "Frightful Things" was die-cut from this Label Alphanumeric Set (664177). This is one of my favourites, the letters are only 3/8" tall!



A piece of dyed mummy cloth completes my tag.  Thanks so much for stopping by, there's so much more to share, so hope you come back!

Make sure you check out everyone's amazing projects, you saw only half of them on the Facebook live! I can't wait to see what else everyone created in the coming months.  A big thank you to Tim, Mario and Paula, for asking me to create!

See you soon,

Jan



9 comments

scrappergirl56 said...

Eek! Love the Ghosts! That window looks amazing, will definitely be trying my hand at this one. Love everything about the tag...it's Halloween! Love Halloween! and all the creepy, scary, goofing, funny, punny projects that come along. Am looking forward to whatever else you have to share. I'm getting my creep on...

Tamera said...

What a delightfully frightful piece! Oh my your window detail is incredible Jan! I admire your use of the mica sheets in your projects. It always looks so cool and adds just the right touch. This project has so many fun elements and details that I love to just stare at it! Fabulous!

jerseysnowqueen said...

Spooktacular! Luv your great techniques and the way you incorporate the stuff we already have in our stash, except the mica sheets for me but they will be added soon. I knew I should have ordered the ghosts when I ordered the houses! Can't wait to see more pieces!

sarascloset said...

Love this tag, especially the creepy window! How clever to layer the mica over the ephemera. So many wonderful details to enjoy! Thank you for your inspiration!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

From the embossed inky ghosts to the mica, all spooktacular! You created a hauntingly fabulous little scene!

Sherri said...

Absolutely spooktacular!! I particularly love the ghosts. When I saw this project I went out & bought the dies just so I could recreate those ghosts!! I love the fact that you give such an in-depth description on how you created your work of art!! I miss our “chats”. Hopefully one day our paths will cross again Jan!!

Theresa said...

Hi Jan. Your tag inspired me to make one of my own, or actually for my sister. I was lucky and had some mica for the window. What a fun effect. thanks as always for sharing.

Rochelle F. said...

Oh, ghoulish cuteness!! How fun would it be to emboss the ghosts in glow-in-the-dark embossing powder and emboss the underneath side of the window to illuminate behind the window as well, for some added ambience...

Thank you for sharing and inspiring

Tina3723 said...

Jan, you always do such wonderful things with Tim's products! What you can do with paper and a few sullied just blow my away. I love your makes!! Thank you for the tutorials!!! Learn so much; always 😊👏🙏🤗

Back to Top