It's all in the details

When I saw these new Scrappy Cat dies from Sizzix, I knew there could be lots of different ways to use them.  I love dies, stamps, or papers that you can use as backgrounds, as you can change the look of your project using these and just different mediums.
With the Sizzlit decorative strip, "Luxury in the Details", crackle molding paste, and spray mist; I created the background for this tag:
And with the Sizzix Sizzlit die, "Baroque Ornament", crackle molding paste, and spray mist I created the background for this card:
Just by cutting out a tag or shape from plain white cardstock and your chosen diecuts from the same cardstock, you can create a textured background.

This card was created with first glueing the Baroque diecut to the middle of the white cardstock base.  I then cut out 4 other Baroque pieces and placed them around the middle diecut so my entire base was covered.  Next, trim off the excess pieces of the diecuts hanging off your base.  I used Claudine Helmuth's Matt Medium (my favorite liquid medium) and a small paint brush to glue on the pieces.  Let this dry and then apply your crackle molding paste over top.  I tried two different ways; with my tag, I lightly painted the medium over top and with the card, I put it on a little heavier and immediately wiped off the excess with a paper towel to expose the pattern.  I think I like applying it the second way, the results seemed better.  Also, you can leave parts not exposed, so that your raised pattern can be visible in certain areas.
Let this dry, and then you are ready to color with your chosen mediums.
I used Lindy's Stamp Gang, Moon Shadow Mists for both the card(Copper) and the tag(Buccaneer 
Bay Blue).  These mists have a color and then a brown undertone for a vintage feel (love them!)  As you can see by this photo (sorry, not a very good one, terrible light!) the mist soaks in heavier in different parts.  I spray quite heavy and then blot the excess off, but just to warn you, your design might come unglued in parts because of the saturation.  I just re-glue those parts after the tag is dry.
Here's a close up so you can see the raised texture.
To finish off my tag, I used some Prima flowers, Tim Holtz butterfly sticker(Crowded Attic Salvage Stickers), Tim Holtz metal word band, Tim Holtz printed tissue, tulle, twine, and a metal embossed heart made from Sizzix's movers & shapers mini die, "Lovestruck".  For the card, I used Prima bling, chipboard circle, their wood bird and clock, flowers, and Pink Paislee butterfly diecut.  The woodgrain ribbon is an older ribbon from Martha Stewart.  
Hope I have inspired you to look at your dies differently or check out the dies made by Sizzix for Scrappy Cat, the designs are beautiful!
Until next time,

Jan
Have a great weekend!

2 comments

Shelly Hickox said...

This is incredible, Jan!! I love the texture in both of these pieces, but the tag just blows me away. Thanks so much for the inspiration!! I guess I need those dies now... :)

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Beautifully done! I had to read it over & over to get it into my head what you were trying to tell me. LOL But it finally "clicked". Love the beautiful tag & the card. Well done!
Huggies ~
Sharron♥

Back to Top