PINCUSHION VIGNETTE BOX - TIM HOLTZ CREATIVATION 2019

Hello crafting friends!  It's been awhile since I've shared here, a few things here at home have taken me out of the craft room.  Hopefully I can get back into it, it always seem to take me awhile to get my mojo back!  Here is another project created for the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Booth at Creativation 2019.


This is my vignette box/pincushion piece.  


Turn it around and this is the pincushion side of the Vignette box.


I adhered two vignette boxes(TH93782 - 3.875" x 5.5") back to back to create the wider structure.  It was then covered with Worn Wallpaper (TH93692), treated with Distress Oxide in areas to age the paper.  I then used Ranger's Opaque Crackle in random areas.  After this dried, I rubbed in Frayed Burlap, Vintage Photo, Weathered Wood Distress Crayons into the cracks, adding a bit of water to the crayons as I went along.  


Before adhering my Vignette Frame (TH93694) to the outside of the box, I finished off the inside with Tim Holtz paper that had been distressed and crackle paste randomly applied.  Next I embellished the inside with Tim Holtz Ephemera, a vintage spool, coloured Bouquet Findings(TH93569), a Photo Booth Photo (TH93799) a Classic Label Sticker (TH93959) a Thimble(TH93791) made into a pincushion with a scrap of velvet ribbon, a Mini Pin (TH93790), a piece of the Ruler Pieces Findings (TH93565), and a small amount of Spanish moss.  My Vignette Frame was painted first with Black Soot Distress Paint, then lightly dry brushed  with Frayed Burlap, and Barn Door paint.  This is then adhered to the outside of the Vignette box.  


Apply a bit of Ranger's Crackle Paste to the corners and edge of the frame, overlapping onto the paper covered sides.  Colour the dried paste the same way.


For the Pincushion side, the frame is Lace Baseboard Frame (TH93786). This was coloured with a combination of Frayed Burlap, and Antique Linen Distress Crayons and Oxide Inks. Now the pincushion! I used a hard piece of mat board or you could use a thin piece of wood (like the Vignette Panels) slightly larger than the oval opening of the Lace Baseboard Frame (TH93786).  Keep in mind that this piece has to be smaller than the Vignette Box, it will fit just inside.  My pincushion was made with a piece of wide French ribbon (I've been hoarding this piece for a long time!) that I slightly stained with Oxide inks.  Take your piece of fabric or ribbon that is slightly larger than your board, a small amount of stuffing, place it in the middle underneath, wrap your fabric over the edge and staple in the middle of each side once.  If you need to add more or take away any stuffing do so now.  If you're not sure, just hold it under the frame to judge it.  I then used a hot glue gun to permanently adhere the fabric to the board, using small dots of glue and working back and forth between the different sides to keep it even.  Glue gun this to the back of the frame.   I did check first to see if the pincushion board still fit inside the box after the fabric was attached.  Adhere a Ribbon Adornment to the top of the pincushion on the frame(TH93686)


Adhere the frame to the box with Multi Matte Medium or Collage Medium. You can see in this photo how the frame extends past the box and is flat against it.  I used elastic bands on each end to hold this tight while the glue dried.


To finish off this project, I painted a Vignette Finial (TH93573) with Black Soot Distress Paint first, then dry brushed with Frayed Burlap.  I added a small amount of Grit Paste(TDA53422) on one side and after it dried, painted it with Distress Paint(I think I used Espresso, maybe Forest Moss, a touch of Barn Door).  I adhered this to the top with Matte Medium.  The string is Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements black Craft Thread and a Story Stick(TH93680) was tied onto this.
My Vignette Base (TH93709), the larger one, was also painted, then a big of Grit Paste applied and painted in the same way as the Finial.  This is adhered to the box with Matte Medium also.  I was worried that because the box was wider, the top of the base was too small and it might wobble or not be strong enough so I adhered a large Gadget Gear(TH93297) first on the bottom of the box, then the base to that.  It seemed to give more weight and strength to the bottom of the box.


Here's another look at my finished pincushion vignette box, hopefully I've remembered everything, it seems like such a long time ago that I made this!

I have one more project left to share from the Idea-ology booth, plus a few pieces from the Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 2 release.  Tim has a new blog post with a video showcasing these new dies and samples for inspiration!

Thanks so much for visiting, hope you stop by again!

Jan



4 comments

Tamera said...

This is such a wonderful idea Jan! Love the two sided project and all the beautiful feminine touches throughout. ♥️

Rea' said...

So beautiful and a great idea; you know I had to pin it !! :)

sarascloset said...

This is really such a special project; every single detail in the vignette works so perfectly with the next. Loving that crackled wallpaper and oh, my goodness that pincushion looks like it could have been my grandmother's! Fabulous!

Diane said...

This is a beautiful and functional piece! I think this would make a beautiful bridal shower favor but there is a lot of work involved. I have some old sewing notions of my moms that would work for something on the line of this.

Back to Top