RUSTY INTRICATE LACE CARD - SIZZIX CHAPTER 2

Hello everyone!  This week, Tim Holtz shared live, his new Sizzix Chapter 2 release, which you can still watch here. I'm sharing today, one of the cards I created with this release.


My rusty card using the Intricate Lace Die.


This die is gorgeous and full of detail.  I decided try something different, knowing I would lose some of that detail, but I still like to think it looks ok.  At Christmas, I saw some garlands made totally out of metal that were all rusty, so different looking; loved them!  When I sat down to use this die, I started out by die-cutting it with Mixed Media Cardstock, intending to colour and antique with Oxide inks.  Then I remembered the rusty metal garlands, and so then....


It looks like I embossed the die-cut cardstock with rusty embossing powder, which would probably be a lot easier, but I actually used Tim Holtz Distress Grit-Paste. I love the look of Grit-Paste when it's been painted!  A wonderful thing about this Thinlits die, is that you determine how large your borders are going to be, there is no cutting edge all the way around.  If you want your die-cut piece wider or longer, you can use a longer piece of paper, and do a second cut close to the previous die-cut edge.  I left a larger border all the way around than you see here, I cut it down with a craft knife after I applied the Grit-Paste. I taped down the edges of the die-cut, so it wouldn't move when the paste was applied and these edges were cut off after.
I tried not to apply the Grit-Paste too heavy, or if I did in some areas, it was partly scraped off. The die-cut was all filled in, but when you lift it off the glass, the paste came off the larger open areas and I used a Craft Pick to poke out the smaller areas (some of the really tiny areas, I just left).  Set this aside to air dry. It's a bit tricky and messy, but I think worth it!  I die-cut Tim Holtz Skeleton Leaves (Sizzix 663094) in Mixed Medium cardstock and treated them the same way with the Grit-Paste, but I didn't apply the paste quite so thick.


Once the Grit-Paste had dried, I painted my pieces with Espresso Distress Paint first, dry, then randomly Ripe Persimmon, Fossilized Amber and Rusty Hinge.  My Mixed Media cardstock flowers were coloured with Distress Oxide Ink and are die-cut from Sizzix's Large Funky Florals Thinlits set (664158). The centers were Fluted Fasteners(92373) and a Hardware Head(93788) in the middle.
Ruler Ribbon (TH93955) was adhered across the bottom, a Black Metallic Quotation Sticker (TH93559) on top of that.  I created a cluster with the Funky Florals and Skeleton Leaves in the corner.  This Intricate Lace Layer was adhered with dimensional foam strips(on the edge) to a mat of Mixed Media cardstock, then Metallic Cardstock and finally my cardstock base.

Here's another look at my card!  One thing about using dies, that I love, is how versatile they are. It's amazing how different they can look, just by changing up the materials used.  After watching the samples from Tim's video, I'm sure you will all agree!  

Thank you so much for visiting, there's more projects to be shared soon!

Jan




4 comments

Cathy said...

This looks amazing, love the rusty texture, Cathy x

ann barnes said...

Wow Jan, this is so interesting and absolutely gorgeous! What great inspiration the metal garland provided! I love seeing your creative ideas come to life! Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing! xx

sarascloset said...

This rust really had me fooled! Your colors are spot on and the grit paste adds the best rusty texture. Amazing card!

Jan said...

I have searched for these instructions so long - now thrilled!
Have so enjoyed following you and appreciate your creative skills.
Thank you for generously sharing and inspiring all of your followers!

Back to Top