THE GATE KEEPER - TIM HOLTZ SIZZIX CHAPTER 3 RELEASE

Hello friends!   I'm sharing another Halloween project created for the Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 3 release.  


The main attraction is the Gate Keeper Thinlits set for this Halloween Vignette.  I have also used in the background, Haunted which is a fantastic Spooky house.  Here's how I created my Halloween Vignette:


I covered the outside of a vignette box (TH93279- 3.875 x 5.5) with Halloween Worn Wallpaper(last year'sTH93974), sanded the edges, then applied Tim Holtz Distress Texture Crackle Paste (TDA71303).  I let this air dry, then applied Distress Crayons (brown tones) in the cracks.  Slightly dampen your finger and rub it in.



I painted a 3.875 x 5.5 Vignette Frame(TH93694) with Ground Espresso Paint, let it dry.  Dry brush lighter colours on top to get into the grooves.  I think this green was Peeled Paint.


I die-cut two sets of gates twice, for front and back (8 pieces total) from Blackout Kraft Stock(TH94020).  This was so the gate reached closer  to the middle of the vignette box. I wanted my gate to be sturdier as it is not laying flat.  The outer gate pieces were flipped so the gate posts were adhered together.  You will be trimming the outer gate pieces(the higher side) to fit the box and they look more like a fence.

There are some thin accent pieces for the gate bars, which I die-cut just for the centre front gates.  Once these were adhered onto the gate fronts and the gate pieces adhered front to back, I lightly sanded the kraft stock.  I also applied some embossing glaze to the fronts (Rusty Hinge) to give them more of a rusty metal look.  The bats were die-cut from black cardstock and the moon from Distress Oxide coloured Mixed Media Heavy Stock.



On a piece of Distress Watercolour cardstock, colour your background with Distress Ink and Sprays, Distress Oxide Inks and Sprays.  I first used a small amount of yellow (Squeezed Lemon) sprayed in the area I wanted my moon die-cut.  A moon shape mask larger than my moon die-cut was placed on this area, and then the rest of my background was coloured. Remove the mask and lightly spritz with water to make the edges of the moon blurry. The width of the watercolour cardstock is wider than the inside back and sides of my vignette box.  You can always trim it to size after.  This is adhered to the back and sides in one piece.  Adhere the moon and bats to the background and your painted frame to the outside of the vignette box.


I die-cut my house from Blackout Kraft Stock and the accent pieces from Mixed Media Heavy Stock coloured with Distress Oxides.  I didn't have room for the whole house, so I cut it in half where the orange line is.  This was adhered in the corner of the vignette box.  Also adhere the gates to each side, having them bent out over the frame.  They are slightly longer in length.  Using a hot glue gun, attach some spanish moss on the floor of the box and a spooky Tim Holtz Halloween Paper Doll (this one was from an older set that had very small ones).  I also die-cut a spooky tree from an older Sizzix Halloween set, Ghost Town from blackout cardstock and added that to my scene.


My base for the box is created from a Vignette panel(TH93295).  I adhered two Stampers Anonymous webs and 4 stacking ledges from the Etcetera Bat and Web Trims set (THETC-014).  Paint the entire surface lightly with a brown (Ground Espresso, I think) Distress paint.  If it's too thick, dilute with a touch of water, so you can still see the woodgrain.


After this had dried, I dry brushed over the base with a lighter distress paint.  I believe it was Old Paper.  I like that you can still see the wood texture through the paint.  My vignette box was adhered on top of this base in the middle.  All the ledges are covered, but the web trim is visible.


I die-cut various foliage from the Sizzix Thinlits set, Funky Foliage and Mixed Media Heavy Stock coloured with Distress Oxides.This was arranged at the bottom with Tim Holtz Idea-ology pumpkins(painted), bones, and a bit of spanish moss.  Also the foliage and moss were added to the top and  top corner of the box.


Here's a closer look at the moon and background.



  Your project is complete, here's another look!  Hope you are inspired to created your own Halloween Vignette box!  Love this Gatekeeper set, I can see this gate used on so many different projects, and not just Halloween.  
I think I've shared all of my Halloween Sizzix Chapter 3 release projects, now onto Christmas, then Chapter 4, plus my Christmas Idea-ology projects!  

Until next time,

Jan








1 comment

Paula Cheney said...

Jan, I love how you used the etcetera trim pieces! What a great idea to use as the base of the box. Love this project and your creative ideas!

Back to Top