PAPER VILLAGE - TIM HOLTZ SIZZIX CHAPTER 4 FACEBOOK LIVE RELEASE

Hello friends!  I have another project to share from the Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 4 Facebook Live Release.


    I've created this home decor project using the new Paper Village Thinlits set and the 3D Engraved Embossing folder.  There are so many creative ways to use these little paper houses, I would encourage you to check out all the makers from Tim's blog post and also his instagram.


My village piece also lights up!


Isn't this pattern on the Engraved 3-D  beautiful?  I used Distress Watercolour Cardstock, slightly dampened, with the folder.  You will need two of these.


I decided to use Distress paint to colour my embossed paper.  I started with the darkest colour,  Ground Espresso, paint a light coat, and let dry.


Next, I used Pine Needle with the dry brush technique.  Apply a small amount on your brush, then wipe the excess off on a paper towel.  There will be a very small amount remaining on your brush, lightly swipe at the raised areas.  After this has dried (it doesn't take long) apply your lightest colour, which I used Speckled Egg.


For my project's base, I used three small vignette boxes and 1 medium, arranged at different heights.  the bigger medium one is slightly deeper, but the vignette box backs face the front and are flush.  For the middle I attached two together and cut out my embossed paper to cover the box backs. One piece covered the two attached boxes.  I attached these two in the middle and covered as one, because I wanted a larger solid looking piece for the center.  Cover the other two small boxes on the backs(face front) and the sides that face the outside of the complete structure.  I had also covered the sides facing the top, as I wasn't sure if the houses would cover completely, plus it looks more finished.



My village houses were also die-cut from Distress Watercolour Cardstock, textured side on the outside. the roof pieces were die-cut from the Distress Leather HeavyStock paper.  I built them with the windows and doors cut out in the front only.  This set has various window pieces to choose from.  I played around with the placement of the houses to see what fit around the boxes.  Some of the roof tops had to be cut shorter as the houses were right against each other.  After my houses were constructed,  I applied Ranger's Distress Crackle Textured Paste all over (except the roofs)  Set aside to air dry.  


Once the houses were dry, paint in the same way as the embossed paper. If you would like the cracks to show up darker, apply Distress crayon in a dark brown.


Before adhering the roofs, cut out small pieces of vellum and adhere to the inside, covering the windows.  This vellum was lightly tinted with Mushroom Alcohol Ink.


Once your houses are finished, set aside.  Your tiny lights should be attached first to the boxes.


I drilled a small hole in top of the boxes where the middle of each house would be.  Carefully hot glue your strand of lights in place (careful not to bend too sharply or damage the strand).  


This is how they will look like.  I just left the back open for access to change the battery. 



To adhere the houses, I used Ranger's Distress Translucent Grit Paste.  I applied it quite thick, mostly around the edges where the houses would go.  Press the house into the grit paste.  You might have to add more to make sure all the edges are in the paste.  While this paste is wet, apply your Rock Candy Glitter and Sequins.  The Rock Candy glitter was dyed with Alcohol ink(Patina & Mushroom).  I wanted to create a monochromatic look to my piece.  I also added some to my roof tops.


I used the stars from Sizzix's Sequins and beads and stuck these also into my Grit Paste.  You can always add more with Distress Collage Medium after the paste has dried.  


The velvet ribbon was dyed with Distress spray ink(I think it was Evergreen Bough) and a Christmas Word Band strung through it. Attach this across your structure.



Here's another look at my finished Paper Village Project.  You could have it sitting among Christmas greens, fake snow or just on a mantle.

Thanks so much for visiting!

Until next time,

Jan





3 comments

scrappergirl56 said...

So, so cool...and I love how it looks all lit-up. Tiny lights for the win...LOL. That embossing folder is incredible.

Anonymous said...

Love thi so so much😀 That for sharing. What did u use to glue boxes together?.

From
Wendy C

Mary Simet said...

Dear Jan, Your new display dome with the paper doll solo’s girl is devine. Would you please tell me how you created the velvet ribbon bow? It seems to me I have read a tutorial somewhere. Gratefully, Mary Simet

Back to Top