FUNKY INSECTS SHAKER CARD - TIM HOLTZ SIZZIX CHAPTER 2 RELEASE

 Hello everyone!  Today I'm sharing the first of my Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 2 projects.  If you missed his YouTube Launch featuring all the new dies and the incredible makes for this release you can catch up here on Tim's blog.



I've created this Shaker Card using the Funky Insects and an older one, Funky Wreath.










The insect's bodies were created with Ranger's Mixed Media Heavystock that was coloured with Distress Oxide Sprays and Inks.  I used Worn Wallpaper Scraps to die-cut the wings and top body parts.  These were lightly sanded (the Worn Wallpaper has a nice subtle texture that looks great when sanded) and the edges inked.  


My window for my shaker was created with the Funky Wreath. To create the shaker, I've used a craft foam sheet cut slightly smaller than my card top sheet.  I use inexpensive ones from the craft store and apply my own double sided adhesive that is thinner, which is applied to both sides before die-cutting. Die-cut the wreath in the foam sheet, you are using the negative space.  Position this where you want it on your card, remove the backing on the bottom and adhere this to your background paper (from the Backdrops paper pack).  Fill with your sequins (Sizzix Limoncello Sequins Set), or other filling (I've even used some tiny butterflies die-cut from the Park Thinlits set (Mary Poppins).  Fill your circle making sure everything is not touching the edge or it's not too full or above the foam. Cut out a piece of clear acrylic larger than the die-cut area, usually the size of the foam, peel off the backing on top of the foam sheet and stick your clear sheet on top.  Make sure it's pressed down to secure it everywhere and nothing escapes.
I die-cut this wreath in the centre of the Cool Kraftstock sheet and used the negative space. When I am using the negative space as my card front, I usually cut that piece slightly larger in case I mess up and it's not centred properly or I'm not sure how big I want the surrounding area, then I trim to the exact size I want. The edge was machine stitched after I decided on my exact measurements. I then die-cut the wreath again with mixed media heavystock,  coloured with oxides. This paper was backed with adhesive before die-cutting.  This is going to go where the wreath in the negative space was taken out. 
The Kraftstock was adhered on top of my shaker part, then the wreath adhered in place, matching the die-cut area.  Hopefully this all makes sense! 


I 've added some Linen Floral tape which I machine stitched the edges before removing the backing, but it is very sticky, so some adhesive did stick to my needle.  This piece went near the bottom, then a label from the Engraving Layers (lightly inked and sanded). I die-cut the word JOY from the Stretch Upper Alphanumeric Thinlits set and Warm Kraftstock (lightly sanded), adhered in the middle and a Metallic Sticker over that.  My Funky Insects, along with a few leaves from the Brushstroke Floral set were all adhered to complete my card front.  This was adhered to my kraft card base.

Materials used:

Funky Insects Thinlits set 665364, Funky Wreath Thinlits set 664434, Stretch Upper Alphanumeric Thinlits set 665206,  Brushstroke Floral Thinlits set 665360, Worn Wallpaper Scraps TH94122,  Warm Kraftstock Stack 94112, Cool Kraftstock Stack 94110, Layers Engraving TH94125, Metallic Sticker Book TH94134, Linen Floral Tape TH94139, Sizzix Essentials Sequins and Beads-Limoncello 664604, Backdrops Paper Volume #1 TH94117. Various colours of Distress Oxide Inks and Sprays. Double sided Adhesive Sheets Sizzix 656802, Craft Foam Sheets, clear acrylic sheet, 12 x 12 Kraft cardstock.

Thanks so much for stopping by,
until next time, happy crafting!

Jan

No comments

Back to Top