BERNICE ETCETERA TAG - TIM HOLTZ SIZZIX CHAPTER 2 RELEASE

Hello everyone!  Today I’m sharing another Tim Holtz project created for his Sizzix Chapter 2 YouTube reveal.  If you missed the reveal, you can catch up here!



For those of you who love the Sizzix Colorize animals, Bernice the hippo is a fun and great addition to the collection.



I've used a Medium Thickboard Etcetera Tag(6 1/2 x 12) as my main base.  This was covered with cut up sections of Idea-ology Backdrops Paper and 2 Salvage Tags.  I glued together my pieces, then trimmed to the tag measurements.  Before adhering to the tag base, I machine stitched around the edge and zigzagged stitched in random places.


Next came the small Mini Thickboard Tag (4/12 x 8").  This was covered first in a small floral from the Backdrops paper pack, then a piece of Kraftstock which was die-cut with the new Folk Flowers Thinlits die. I found that the tinier the pattern of the paper used, made it stand out behind the kraftstock. Two pieces were needed to cover the tag, so there is a seam near the top, but this was mostly covered up by the trees. You can always place the seam near the bottom, as Bernice will cover it, but at this point, I wasn't sure where I was going to position everything.  This was lightly sanded also, then the tag adhered to the main base. A small B(for Bernice) was embossed and cut out from the 3D Type Embossing Folder and Metallic Kraftstock. The 'B' was lightly sanded and a bit of Alcohol ink added to age it. This was stapled over a piece of Linen Fabric Tape and adhered over the tag hole 


A Lace Baseboard Frame was coloured with Distress Crayons (mostly Bundled Sage with a bit of Dried Marigold and Tea Dye).  This was glued to the small tag, hanging over the edge, to offset Bernice.  I also wanted to tuck flowers underneath it.


These die-cut Funky Trees were made with Mixed Media Heavystock, coloured with Distress Oxides (different shades of light greens and yellows, using Old Paper, Squeezed Lemonade, Bundled Sage).  The pieces used for the top layers on the trees were embossed with the 3D Engraved folder. This is actually a winter snowflake folder, but because they are small pieces, you can't tell.  It adds another dimension to the trees, and if you want the embossing to show up a little more, spray a bit more Oxide colour on and let it get into the creases.  Adhere your trees, trying to place them so they cover most of your seam. 


Usually I use ribbon, or Mummy Cloth for the hole in my tags, but I decided to take advantage of the O, with my theme of April Showers and I really wanted to use one of the new Numbers dies.  So the tag ring was covered in scraps of my Backdrops paper, the number 2 was die-cut and a Uppercase H was die-cut from the Stretch Upper Alphanumeric dies.  H20!



Now we can add in Bernice!  She's so lovable looking, isn't she? I have used various shades of Kraftstock, all in the same tone.  I love these new packs of Idea-ology 6 x 9" Kraftstock, which come in three different sets, they don't have texture and distress so nice.  There is a Warm, Cool, and Neutral set, each has a total of 24 sheets, 8 different colours.  Perfect for those projects that you would like different shades, especially the Colorize Animals or even flowers.  I hope that eventually there will be different sets, would love different shades of yellows, pinks, etc.  I've used the Warm set for Bernice.  I haven't gone into how she was constructed, as Sizzix has great step by step videos for each of their Colorize sets here.  





Bernice needed an umbrella with all that rain, so I used the umbrella from Tim's set, The Gent.  I added in the throw away pieces from the frame piece, molded them with my Tim Holtz Shaping kit, so my umbrella looks puffier.  The only reason being, is because I loved those Oxide splotches, couldn't let them go to waste! lol!  The umbrella handle fit perfectly into Bernice's mouth.


For my raindrops, I used the Media Marks Thinlits set.  I alcohol inked a piece of clear acrylic with light blue/greens and then die-cut.  These were adhered randomly with Distress Collage Medium.


Here's another photo of Bernice with her umbrella.


To finish off my tag, I coloured different Mixed Media Heavystock pieces with various Distress Oxide colours (mostly Dried Marigold, Brushed Corduroy, Tea Dye, Kitsch Flamingo) and die-cut these sheets with my most well used sets, the Tiny Tattered Florals and Small Tattered Florals Thinlits sets.  These flowers were also shaped with the Tim Holtz Shaping kit and adhered above the lace frame and below.  I've used different beads from sets of Sizzix Making Essential Sequins and Beads sets.  I've also added a few clippings(words to go with flowers) from the Idea-ology Clippings Sticker Book.



I've added a little quote in the corner, using the Tiny Type Upper and Lower Alphanumeric thinlits sets and leftovers from my Oxide coloured Mixed Media Heavystock (apply adhesive sheets to the back before die-cutting, makes it so much easier!)



And that my friends, is how I created this Bernice Etcetera Tag! I hope this inspires you to use those older dies with your new ones.   I have used quite a few dies, but I'm sure you have ones that you can substitute if you don't have all of these. There are so many embellishments you can create to go specifically with your colour scheme and project.  Who would ever think that the embossing on the trees is actually snowflakes?  You will be surprised going through your embossing folders, how different they look when using just a small section of them.

Here's to all the flowers that April showers bring, but I wonder what April snow storms bring?  We had a big one a couple of weekends ago, then it warmed up after to some nice hot weather and now we're heading into colder days again, hopefully the forecast is wrong, and there's no snow.  There's no leaves on the trees yet, so at least nothing has been frozen.  It feels like it's taking forever for the leaves and flowers to come out!  I hope you are having better weather than us, wherever you are!

I have one more Sizzix Chapter 2 project to share, and I still have a couple of the Idea-ology projects also to share, so we'll see you soon!

Thanks for dropping by,

until next time

Jan


Materials used for this project:
Bernice Colorize Thinlits set 665366
Countdown Thinlits set 665367
Folk Flowers 665363
Tiny Tattered Florals 660227
Small Tattered Florals 661806
Tiny Type Upper Alphanumeric 664406
Tiny Type Lower Alphanumeric 664407
Media Marks 664436
Engraved 3D Embossing Folder 664249
Typewriter 3D Embossing Folder 663760
The Gent 665202
Stretch Upper Alphanumeric 665206
Funky Trees 665217
Tim Holtz Sizzix Shaping Kit 665304
Medium Thickboard Etcetera Tag THETC 002
Mini Thickboard Etcetera Tag THETC 004
Salvaged Tags TH94048
Clippings Sticker Book TH94030
Small piece of Linen Floral  Fabric Tape TH94139
Warm Kraftstock TH94112
Lace Baseboard Frame TH93786
Volume 1 and 2 Backdrops Paper TH94117 and TH94118
Copper Metallic Kraftstock paper
Distress Mixed Media Heavystock 
Various Alcohol Inks for Rain Drops
Clear Acrylic sheet
Distress Oxide Sprays and Inks (Old Paper, Squeezed Lemonade, Kitsch Flamingo, Tea Dye,
   Brushed Corduroy, Dried Marigold, Bundled Sage
Beads for Flower centres






3 comments

KATHLEEN STADLER said...

Did you hear that? That was the sound of my mind being blown away by this make! You put so many great touches together! I need to get some of the new Kraftstock. I love that you used the warm tones for Bernice. The embossed tree tops are a nice touch and the Folk Flowers came out quite nicely! I’m going to stop now... There is just so much goodness going on here. Thank you for sharing how you did it. It’s great!

Paula Cheney said...

Wonderful make Jan! So many details that the step outs show (that I missed before). I think Bernice looks wonderful!

Gittana said...

I am new to this craft and I love your style!! thanks much for sharing

Back to Top