FLOWER FIELD VIGNETTE BOX - TIM HOLTZ SIZZIX CHAPTER 2 RELEASE

 Hello crafting friends! Still trying to catch up! This is my last project from Sizzix Chapter 2.



I've created this 3D Shadow Vignette Box using two of the new Chapter 2 Thinlits sets.


Here's a look at the back of my Vignette Box.  The ovals are all created with the 
new Stacked Oval Framelits set(665368).

Stacked Oval Tiles 665368

Flower Field 665369


The flowers were die-cut from the Flower Field Thinlits set.


The Oval set has 25 dies, 5 of each size (5 sets).  You can cut out quite a few at a time!  These were all die-cut from Mixed Media Heavystock.  For the ones with flowers inside, I die-cut a Flower Field piece from the Heavystock and then cut out my ovals from that piece. You will get fragments of the flower pieces which I just adhered to my ovals. My Vignette box (largest of set TH93279, 3.875 x 5.5 x 1.5 ) was covered with Mixed Media Heavystock also, on the outside.  The oval die-cuts were glued on randomly as shown in my photos.  On the top of the box, I used a piece of the die-cut oval negative piece from my heavy stock sheet.


Once all your die-cuts are arranged and adhered on the outside of the Mixed Media covered Vignette box, paint the entire outside with a dark colour.  I've used Distress Ground Espresso paint for my first layer.  After this has dried, dry brush your next chosen colour and let dry, and so on( I think I used Forest Green, Peeled Paint, and Speckled Egg).  I usually use about 3 or 4 different colours.  You don't use very much on your brush for the dry brushing, wipe off the excess your brush.  This gives your painted surface, depth and texture.  Ranger Ink is going to be retiring some of the Distress paints, so if there's certain ones you like, I would try and stock up!


Cover the inside with patterned paper (edges inked) and Mini Foundations were adhered (Collage Medium)  to the bottom.  A bit of paint was added to the foundations.


Die-cut the Flower Field die (I die-cut two) with Distress Watercolour Cardstock (I used the flat side) and apply colour  to your die-cut.  I smoosh different colours of Distress Ink pads on my Glass Media Mat and use a watercolour brush to dilute the colour, then paint. This die does not cut on the bottom, giving you the choice of how much paper you want there. To get the dimensional look, I cut a narrow piece of die-cut, applied adhesive foam and adhered in front of another narrow piece in the middle of my box.


I cut out two pieces of Distress Kraft Heavystock to fit inside the Vignette box.  Using the largest Oval Framelit,  I die-cut the centre of one, and then the next oval size down, in the center of the other Kraft piece.  I then applied Oxide Sprays, Distress Sprays, and finally Distress Crackle Paste with the Tim Holtz Crackle Stencil was applied randomly.  Once that had dried, I used a Distress Crayon to to apply in the cracks.  It's handy to have these finished before you adhere your flower field pieces, so you can determine what is going to show in the cutout ovals.




When I cut up my Flower Field pieces and adhered them in-between with adhesive foam, they are staggered so they aren't covering up the layer behind too much.


Here's another look at the different levels.




To finish off my Vignette box, I added a Mini Hardware knob (TH94123) with a bit of Velvet Trim TH94113 on top, and a Phrase sticker from the Metallic Sticker book TH94134.

I have a few more Tim Holtz projects I will be posting, I'm a little behind!  

Until next time,

Jan


5 comments

AZTK said...

STUNNING! and every detail so thought filled. what an inspiration to us, and tfs all the details.

Scrappynana said...

I love this! So pretty! Thank you for sharing how you did it!

scrappergirl56/Sherry said...

So good to hear from you again...love this make, love all the details and flowers, flowers, flowers...thanks for the tutorial.

P-Dot said...

I think this is absolutely charming and I'm springboarding off of this lovely idea but my backdrop is going to be a fun old picture of my grandmother. It's a very vintage picture as I am 77 and am trying to make sure that each of my family members has some great little memorabilia piece of a great grandparent.

Unknown said...

So beautiful! Would love to try this as a gift for the next mothers day! You never disappoint and this project proves it! So inspiring!

Back to Top