BLOOM PILLOW - TIM HOLTZ SIZZIX CHAPTER 3 RELEASE

 

Hello everyone! I'm sharing a project created for the Tim Holtz Sizzix Chapter 3 release.


I made this pillow featuring the new Potted #2 Bigz die and various older wildflower dies. This die is taller than the original Potted Bigz die to accommodate the taller flower dies.  I enjoy using felt when creating die-cut flowers, and these pots are  a great addition to use with them.


The Potted#2 Bigz Die 665438 

             

For my flowers, I've used a combination of Tim Holtz Stems; Wildflower Stems #1 664163, Wildflower Stems #2 - 664164, Wildflower Stems #3 - 665221 and Large Stems 664170, Large Stems #2 - 665222.  The more intricate ones are a little harder to cut out of felt, they can fall apart easy, even with the adhesive backing, so I've tried to use more solid flowers.  I've used Sizzix felt for all the flowers, so many colours!





Before I die-cut my flowers, I apply Heat'n Bond Iron-on Adhesive paper to the back of my felt.  This gives the die-cuts a sharper cut, plus you just have to iron your flowers to your background.  The really narrow pieces are a little trickier to keep in one piece, some I had to sew after to make sure they held together.


For the pots, I sewed the main piece on three sides, over top of my flower stems. These were also stitched, so that the pot was a little loose at the top.  The top is left open.  I stitched the pot rims top and bottom, leaving the sides. The ends were stitched to the pot sides.  The fabric on the smaller pot is Tim Holtz Birch Planks (Yuletide).


The word 'Bloom' was die-cut using the Alphanumeric Stretch Upper set and Tim Holtz Abandoned Fabric.  Because these letters are super skinny, I was worried they would fray, so I slowly and carefully stitched them after they were ironed on.


Various leaves from the flowers were die-cut and placed at the bottom of the pots.  I hand stitched lines with embroidery floss, to 'ground' my pots.  The crackled potted 2, is made from Sizzix Surfacez Tan Texture roll.  This was stamped with Stampers Anonymous Cracks & Specks CMS186 and archival ink.
I've heat set this after stamping to make it permanent, then wet the texture paper to soften it.  This paper is so versatile and durable, it can be stamped, sewn, embossed and even washed.


The other Potted 2 is also die-cut with the Sizzix Texture paper, it was also wet, but while wet, worked with my hands to soften and crinkle it.



I also hand stitched  a flight path for my Idea-ology Butterfly (TH93785) which was tacked in the middle with a couple of stitches.  I've used Tim Holtz fabric for my pillow cover (Memorandum & Abandoned), and a cotton cream coloured background in the center.

I'm so behind in sharing, I have a few posts to catch up on, so I will try and get everything done, before Halloween is released!  Did I just write that? Halloween already?!  I don't know where this year has gone, before you know it Summer will be over.

Until next time,

Jan





3 comments

Kerry Parkinson said...

This is a stunning work of art and I'm jealous my own sewing skills aren't up to the challenge or I'd copy it in a heartbeat. Thanks for sharing it - and the process - with us.

Ana Pajarita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AZTK said...

GORGEOUS!!! thanks for sharing, inspiring, teaching us. Teresa in AZ

Back to Top