HELLO LIFE ETCETERA TAG - TIM HOLTZ RANGER ARCHIVAL INK 2022 RELEASE

Hello everyone!  It's another Tim Holtz YouTube Saturday reveal, and this week it's all about new Ranger Ink Mini Archival Ink Kits! There are three new sets(Kit 4, 5, & 6), each with an assortment of 4 colours.  Love these mini sizes!  Archival ink is waterproof, acid free and a permanent oil-based dye ink.  These inks are permanent on many surfaces, they will not bleed when used with water-based inks, markers, paints (watercolour and acrylic),  and also liquid adhesives.



I've created this tag showing how you can colour with Archival ink and a stencil. I've created an image that did not smear or bleed when other mediums were used in my project. 



I've used a Stampers Anonymous Etcetera Thickboard Mini Tag (THETC-004) and collaged this with various pieces of patterned papers.  I have covered my tag with Distress Collage Medium and then adhered the paper, applying the collage medium over top also.  This gives it a finished surface and there isn't any loose edges on the papers.  Trim the edges to fit the tag.



I have used Tim Holtz Plain Collage Paper (TH93708) as my base to which I applied my archival ink.
This paper has been retired, but if you're like me, you seem to have a stash of everything Tim, or there could still be some out there in stores.  I've taped my piece to my glass mat with masking tape to stop it from moving.  The reason I've used collage paper with my stencilled image, is because I wanted my collaged background to fade behind and just slightly show through.


I've applied my chosen colours( Fired Brick, Crackling Campfire, Wild Honey, Speckled Egg, and a small amount of Villainous Potion and Frayed Burlap) to my Blossom Stencil (THS031).  I have used Tim's Blending Brushes(TDA62240) to apply the ink.  The open areas in the stencil aren't really large, so the blending brush can get into the corners and your image is sharper.  Plus, the brush creates a
softer blend of colours. Archival ink will stain, so to clean your stamps or brushes, use some Archival Stamp Cleaner. Because this ink is waterproof and oil-based, water will not work. 


Once your archival inked image has dried, it's ready to adhere with Distress Collage Medium.  Apply to your tag, the medium first, then gently lay the stencilled paper on top.  This paper, once wet, tears easily (which is great when you want torn edges!).  Apply Collage Medium on top.  That's the beauty of Archival Ink, when using different mediums with it, your inking will not smudge or bleed. If I had used Distress Ink (which is water-based), it would have bled when I added the Collage Medium. The Collage paper becomes more transparent when saturated, leaving your stencil image more pronounced.


Trim off the edges, after your paper has dried.



I've stamped a quote from Stampers Anonymous Set Classic#16 SCF016 with Frayed Burlap Archival Ink on a small piece of Collage paper and applied this in the same way as the stencilled blossoms, across the tag. I have also added a few darker spots of Villianous Potion archival ink to the edge of some of my flowers with a fine paint brush. I apply some ink directly from the pad to my glass mat (not the small non-stick white mat) and dip the fine paint brush in this. 


After, I've inked the edges of the tag with Frayed Burlap. I've also added an Antiqued Gem(TH94033) and A Lock & Key Adornment (TH94162) with a bit of Grit Paste and paint added.  If you want to add more layers or detail and dimension to your tag, you could highlight with markers, paint, or ink and your Archival ink will not bleed.
Hope you enjoyed this short tutorial!

Thank so much for stopping by,

until next time

Jan


3 comments

Spooncat said...

Awesome , love the colours you have used

craftytreen said...

This is amazingly beautiful. I’m just getting into mixed media. I have all the “stuff”. Your tutorial was so clear and so many helpful tips. Your posts are really going to help me. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. Hugs, treen ������

Paper Wishes said...

This is a hauntingly beautiful tag. I love the way the colour floats above all the rich texture in the collage.

Back to Top