Happy New Year!

I'm ready for a brand new year, time to put 2010 behind me and move on.  I've noticed in the scrapbook world, everyone is busy choosing their word for the year; at least those who follow Ali Edwards .  I was thinking about choosing a word to follow throughout this year, but I couldn't seem to settle on one.  A friend of mine sent me three ceramic words for Christmas, "Live, Laugh and Love" and these words just seem to fit in my life right now.  So, I think these will be my words for the year 2011.

I was spoiled by my husband this Christmas, he bought me a ScrapBox EZ View Desk!  It took two days of cleaning my room and shuffling things around to fit the desk in, but I love it!  I will take some photos and post them soon!  I still want to go through all my stuff, sort out everything and reorganize.

Here is my layout for Urban Scrapbook's January kit.  This year, every month the kit will be about using a different technique.  January's kit is about using glimmer mist so be sure to check out what the rest of the design team have done with the included mist!
I had "Frost" glimmer mist in my kit, which I masked the chipboard snowflakes in the kit, my Tim Holtz ribbon, the Pink Paislee elements, the journalling card, felt Queen & Co. snowflakes, and I painted a small amount on my American Crafts letters.  I also colored some of my ribbon with distress ink (red and green) by stamping the ink directly on my craft mat, spritzing with water and dragging the ribbon through it.  Love how vibrant the ribbon turns out!  I took this photo on Boxing Day, when we went for a walk (out at Lake Isle) and three deer ran across the road in front of us.  The same thing happened to me last year!

After I cleaned up my scrapbook room, I was inspired to create something yesterday.  I've been wanting to do something with my Tim Holtz "Configuration Box" for awhile, so I decided to work on it.  I covered all the edges with his tissue tape (love that stuff!) and decided to use Basic Grey's Curio paper and some of the embellishments.  Funny thing, the tape wasn't sticking as well as I wanted, and I was kind of stuck on how I wanted the boxes, so I decided to see if there were any ideas on the internet.  I couldn't find anything on Tim Holtz's blog using the boxes, and I saw only a couple of them made up on other sites; so I went back to work.  After dinner, I decided to check on some websites before I went back to my scrapbook room and there, on Tim's blog were two videos about using his boxes!  He must have read my mind! Lol!  He had some great tips, one of which was using Claudine Hellmeth's "Matte Multi-Medium to secure the tape better and use as a glue.  I never thought of using this, and I had a jar of this too!  Anyways, I went and fixed all the tape and used it to glue the paper, which worked really well!
I would highly recommend using this product, I even used it to glue on the metal legs, as Tim suggested and it held really well!  Here's my finished project:
I did something a little different with the side and back, not sure if I like it.  What do you think?
I had a bird theme going on here, this little black wire bird started it!


I took some of the boxes out, so my bird would fit and it wouldn't look as cluttered.  I had so much fun doing this, I think I might pick up a few more!
That's all for now, have a great week! 



3 comments

Roxanne said...

I hadn't picked one up yet, but I was also really inspired by Tim's videos. I wasn't sure exactly what/how I would decorate it. After reading this post, I am even more inspired!! I do love the new technique you did on the side and back. Makes the box more curious!
I think you should buy a few lottery tickets....deer, 2 years in a row...on the same day! ;)

Sandra D said...

Hi Jan,
I love both the layout & the configurations box. The botanical theme really is lovely - you have the birds & the bees & the butterflies and flowers all nestled in their little spots. Are you dreaming about spring too?

Ingrid said...

Love the box. Great work again!!!

Back to Top