Sweet Bravery...

is the name of January's kit for The Little Black Dress Kit Club.  They were inspired with Melody Ross and her Brave Girls Daily Truths.  If you check out the Little Black Dress blog, there is a link where you can sign up to receive your own Daily Truth by email.  These daily truths are sent out to remind us just how brave, strong, and wonderful we are.  I love getting mine everyday, I think I'm going to put them all in a binder or journal.
Here's what I've done with my kit:
I love this Glitz yellow stripe paper and the brown dot paper is Pink Paislee.  I don't have tons of photos when the kids were little (it was before digital!) but there seems to be quite a few of my oldest son "reading" to his sister or brother.  It's always interesting to look at what he has chosen to read to them!  Cass looks pretty interested there, anything about fashion in National Geographic?
I cut out the fairy from the Webster's paper and the stack of books were cut out from the striped side, using my fall Slice cartridge.  I took a thin strip of the striped paper, sewed a basting stitch in the middle, wet the paper, and then gathered it quite tight.  It's hard to tell, not a great photo, but that's what is on top of the sparkly ribbon.


In this layout, I used the My Mind's Eye Lost and Found paper for the background.  The floral paper is Basic Grey's Curio line, which I cut  into a diecut shape.  The cards that were included in the kit, are from GCD and are designed by Melody Ross (Daily Truth's), and have great sayings on them.  These ones seemed to describe my daughter perfectly!  She just started her own clothing company and has been working so hard to make it successful.  I hope all her hard work pays off!

I think I'm being a brave girl here, just showing everyone a photo of my bald head!  I really felt these cards needed to be scrapbooked with this photo.  Journaling reads: 2010 - my year to be courageous. Cancer is a terrifying word, just thinking about it, fills you with panic.  Chemo and Radiation were just something I had to do, to put cancer behind me.  I may have lost a breast and all my hair, but I think I have gained a new attitude towards life.  My priorities have definitely changed.
I love these Pink Paislee papers, it was hard to pick which side to use!  I also used my new Martha Stewart "all over the page" butterfly punch.  This punch is going to be used a lot!  It is so easy to use.  There are two parts; one goes under the paper and the other on top, both snap together with magnets, you push down and your paper is punched out.
I also made two cards with the kit.
















That's all I've managed to get done with the kit so far, I could get a couple more layouts yet.

For all you who are in the Edmonton area, be sure to check out the Ice Sculpture display on Whyte avenue.  We took my cousin there last week before she headed back to Brisbane, Australia.  Actually, we almost ran through the displays, it was so cold.  She was freezing, poor thing, not used to -32C weather, just the opposite +32C!  I'd like to go back, now that it has warmed up, and they have finished sculpting them, here's a couple of photos.























Have a great Tuesday!

4 comments

Anonymous said...

seriously that picture of you bald is so beautiful.

Christiane said...

jan, whenever i visit your blog i can be sure to find sooo much inspiration!! love your work!!
hugs

Sandra D said...

Beautiful work Jan. I love the layouts and cards - the amount of detail you include is inspiring. Your daughter obviously gets her courage from you. Congratulations to you both for being willing to take risks.

Petra said...

Gorgeous work and yes you are brave but also beautiful! The journaling is very personal and also an eye-opener to everyone. Thanks for sharing.

Back to Top