There is lots of inspiration over at Tammy Tutterow's blog and this week she had me excited to try her technique with embossing!  I loved what she did with Ranger's Rock Candy crackle paint and embossing folders, so I sat down at my cluttered table (didn't I just clean this off the other day?) and pulled out my Tim Holtz snowflake folder.  When I started, I was sure I remembered what she did, but of course, I didn't and forgot to stain my paper before I embossed.  So I figured I'd try what I've been doing in the last week, put my medium on my non-stick craft sheet and adding color to it before I apply it.  I added a bit of Peeled Paint and Broken China stain to my mat and added my Rock Candy, lightly mixing it in.  It gives it a slight bit of color and still is transparent.  Taking a small square piece of plastic, I scrapped it lightly over my embossed tag.  Tammy gives a great step by step tutorial on her blog.  Here is my finished tag:

After my embossed paper was dry, I stamped lightly with Tim Holtz's Holiday Wishes music note stamp.  I used my Tim Holtz tag die and cut out my tag backing with light green American Crafts glitter paper.  I then cut out a rectangle from my embossed paper slightly smaller than the tag and inked the edges (Broken China).  Then, because I really wanted to use my new snowflake movers and shapers die (yet again, Tim Holtz) I cut out lots of printed tissue paper (District Market) but this time, I remembered to stain the paper with Broken China before I cut them out.
With matt medium, I glued a few of the snowflakes to the edges of the embossed paper and then adhered the embossed paper to my tag.  I then strung the rest of the snowflakes on very thin florist wire, dabbed glossy accents on parts of the wire and snowflakes, and sprinkled mica flakes (love these!) over top.  After the flakes were dry, I stuck the ends of the wire under each side of the tag, in between the two layers.  I added some bling which I colored lightly with alcohol ink( I always color clear rhinestones to get the color I want, with alcohol ink) the "winter" mirrored acrylic piece from Prima, stained seam binding and tulle, which I dabbed Stickles on it to give some sparkle.
Thanks to Tammy for her great inspiration, I have a new technique that I love!
Have a great day!

No comments

Back to Top