Compendium of Curiosities Challenge #3

The Studio L3's Compendium of Curiosities Challenge #3 is already up and I'm on a roll!  Another one completed!  This one is all about Tim's Faux Tea Rose Technique from his book, Compendium Of Curiosities Volume #3.  I have used this die for these flowers on so many projects, but this time I created them with a different type of medium.


Can't guess what I used?  Plain vellum!  Urban Scrapbook just received the new colours in Dyan Reaveley's Dylusion Ink sprays and I had to try them.  Love, love these new colours!  I used Tangerine Dream, Pomegranate, and Squeezed Orange on my flowers. The die-cut leaves (Sizzix Spring Greenery 659573) were sprayed with Chopped Pesto.
I started off with my die-cut tag, some Wendy Vecchi Translucent Embossing paste, and the Doily stencil from Tim Holtz.  I taped down the stencil with painters tape, and applied my embossing paste.  Before removing the stencil, I sprayed immediately with Dylusion's new colours Chopped Pesto and Ground Coffee.  It gave it a the stencilled image a different look, some areas soaking it in more. Have to play with this technique some more!  Once my tag was dry, I added a few swipes of Distress Picked Raspberry stain and Tangerine Dream spray to the tag.  I die-cut a doily from Sizzix Tim Holtz On the Edge Doily, and folded about 1/4" of the edge behind my tag.  I usually glue another tag backing onto my tags to finish them off as I seem to make such a mess on the back.  This time, I left the bottom corner free of adhesive and curled back the top bottom corner.


I adhered my colourful vellum tea roses and leaves onto my tag.  I love that middle rose pomegranate colour!  I added in a Picked Raspberry painted Tim Holtz Framed Alpha Part(TH93117) and stained Seam Binding ribbon to complete my tag.


If you haven't joined in on the challenges yet, check out Linda's blog.  There is lots of inspiration from people participating.  I know Urban Scrapbook still has a few of the Compendium of Curiosities Volume Three books in stock too, if you haven't got one to join in the fun.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jan


13 comments

JanBianchi said...

I really like this...beautiful.

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning roses Jan, a wonderful make!! Love that deep red colour!!

Ruth said...

Fabulous patterned roses and the doily stencil is a must! Love this!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful! I love the background & the roses are gorgeous.

Yvonne said...

Love that you did the technique with vellum! Fabulous and your tag is gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with CC3C!

Paula Cheney said...

Love this tag Jan. I was just thinking the other day that I didn't feel like I had ever used this stencil successfully. I think I will try your method today, just to get me started. Thanks for the inspiration!
paula

Cheryl Grigsby said...

Beautiful, as always. Vellum? Brilliant!! Thanks for sharing this.

Almo said...

Love this tag Jan, your beautiful vellum roses look stunning against that fabulous background and doiley diecut. Mo x

Linda Breedlove said...

Jan, these are the most fantastic flowers I've seen made with Tim's die..... ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! LOVE the colors you've created... and that background... oh my goodness... fabulous!!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous in every single elegant and lacy way! Thanks so much for joining us on this rosy challenge at CC3Challenge!!!

Annette Green said...

Those vellum roses are to die for, Jan. What a fantastic idea with a gorgeous result. I'm so glad you're playing along in the CC3 Challenges and know you probably don't need to win prizes, which is why (I'm assuming) you're not commenting on blogs. So I just want you to know that every week I am voting for you in my heart. Your creations are always amazing.

Julia Aston said...

Your flowers are beautiful in the vellum Jan! Also love your stenciled, sprayed and inked background!

Marci said...

Gorgeous!

Back to Top