Copper Patina Enchanted Dove Card

Hello there! Christmas is almost here but if you're like me and still have a few cards to make, here's some card inspiration.


My patterned papers that I used for my card are from BoBunny's "Tis the Season" collection.



For my card, I have used Sizzix's Tim Holtz Holiday Mini Greens, Vintage Tidings,  Mini Paper Snowflakes, Enchanted Doves and Stephanie Barnard's Dotted Circles.



The Enchanted Dove die is a Sizzix Bigz one, which means you can cut out a variety of mediums (anything that scissors can cut out) and I chose a thinner chipboard.  I had covered the top side with patterned paper (the BoBunny snowflake paper used on the circle die-cut) as I wasn't sure how much of a pattern I wanted peaking through this technique I used.  BoBunny carries a new Mixed Media line by Pentart (it's all at Urban Scrapbook!) which has this amazing 3pce set of Patina Effects.  It creates an antique copper effect which I love, love, love!  I first applied a thin layer of clear gesso, or you can use white gesso, but I still was thinking that I wanted my pattern to show through. Then I applied the Patina Effect Gold Powder while my gesso was still wet.  This powder clings to the gesso and can be applied lightly with a brush, or as I end up using, my trusty finger.  Next, you drop the different colours of Patina liquid onto the powdered piece.  There are three colours; light blue, blueish green, and green.  These are all applied randomly, and are fairly clear and very liquid.They do saturate your material, so if you have a thin paper, keep that in mind.  It doesn't look like much is happening, and that is why I ended up covering most of my pieces.  The magic happens over a 1-2 hour period as your piece dries.  For my smaller bird, I embossed the piece before applying this mixture, just for a bit of added texture, which I quite liked. 

Here's a closer look at the results.  Love those colours!  I used this mixture on some Tim Holtz mini bells, they looked so good!  I used them on a layout for Urban Scrapbook which I will share on another post.


For my circles, I die-cut them with a pearl cardstock and patterned paper using the Stepanie Barnard's Dotted Circle Framelits set.  Love this set!  There's 8 pieces and the dotted holes are big enough that my Tim Holtz craft thread fit easily through.  I just apply a bit of paint or glue to stiffen the end for threading and you don't need a needle.  It looks like a lot of work, but it goes pretty fast.  Pop dot the top circle onto the bottom and adhere to your matted card base.  The Tim Holtz Mini Holiday Greens  are die-cut with cardstock which I applied his Gold Deco sheet (th93219) on top before die-cutting.  If you haven't used this before, it's like a thin glittery sticker sheet.  The Mini Snowflakes are die-cut with a Bazzill Powder glitter cardstock.  The Peace (Vintage Tidings Thinlit die) was die-cut with a patterned paper scrap and a second bottom layer was a dark plum matte pearl (Anodized by Paper Accents) cardstock. When adhering the two together, I move the bottom layer over just a bit.


Adhere all your pieces with glue-dots, pop dots, or your favourite tape runner.  Your card is complete!  

Thanks for stopping by, until next time...


Jan

  



14 comments

txcn363@yahoo.com said...

I am so enchanted with this project! Your tutorial is perfect...I think I'm going to have to try this!!!

Paula Cheney said...

STUNNING!!!!

Adeline Maréchal said...

such a beautiful piece of art!

Marci said...

Beautiful! I love this patina look.

Unknown said...

Very pretty, I need the doves die after all it seems.

Sherri said...

Stunning card!! You are so very talented.
Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration.

Mimi said...

Love this rustic and beautiful piece! It looks like it was fun to make! Yeah, of course I want your little paint set used for the aged look of the birds, but I really love the stitched circle-- the *perfect* rustic touch, but it also yields warmth!

Jo said...

This is completely gorgeous!

Samra said...

Gorgeous make! Love the rustic feel to it...
Samra
Paper Talk with Samra

Brenda Brown said...

Oh Jan this absolutely gorgeous, I love everything about it. Merry Christmas xxx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Pinned this beauty. The patina and rusting you got are fabulous and love it on those regal birds...fabulous!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! TFS Jan!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Beautiful card, gorgeous detail. Merry Christmas, Angela x

JUDI said...

I LOVE the technique you used here. I'll have to see if I can get the KIT because I want to try it for 2017 CHRISTMAS cards.
PS I LOVE your work. With LOVE Judi

Back to Top