EMBROIDERY HOOP - TIM HOLTZ CREATIVATION 2019

Hello again everyone!  It's time to share my projects for the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Booth at Creativation 2019.  I'm going to start today with my Photobooth Embroidery Hoop.



I used a 12" wood embroidery hoop from the craft store for this project.
I love this new Photo Booth package (TH93799)!  I had just a few left from his original release, so I was happy he released a new set.  The photos are a great size to work with!


To start, I stained the hoop with Distress Vintage Photo Spray Stain. I applied Ranger's Crackle Paste  to the outside of the hoop and the front outer edge.  Once this dried, I applied Distress Vintage Photo Crayon in the cracks. While my hoop was drying, I started working on the strips.


Using Collage Paper (I used an older one, Floral-TH93707) and Plain(TH93708) I cut off pieces about 4" longer than my hoop. I taped down both ends of the Plain to my glass mat so it didn't move around.  I then applied Distress Vintage Collage Medium(TDA47940) all over this piece and then laid down the Floral piece on top.  I started carefully at one end to match up the sides. I lightly ran an Ink Brayer (roller) over top just to smooth out the sheets.  Then I applied another coat of Vintage collage Medium over top.  I used the Vintage medium to give it an antique look, but you could use the regular Collage Medium instead. I let this dry for a short time, just enough, so it was easy to peel off and hang up.  It dried faster this way and freed up my mat to repeat this on two more pieces. I wasn't sure how many I needed for my hoop and this turned out to be enough.  Once everything was dry, it had almost a pliable cloth texture thanks to the Collage Medium.  I then cut my strips 2" wide with a craft knife (helped to tape down the ends again). 


After you have your strips all cut, weave them together on a flat surface.  I placed the hoop on top, just to figure out how I wanted to place them.  Once you have established the placement, glue with a clear adhesive, just a small amount in the center where each strip overlaps.  I then machine stitched vertically and horizontally across all the woven strips.  This is a photo of the backside of my hoop to give you a look at the stitching.  Place your woven piece on top of the inside hoop, apply a small amount of Collage Medium underneath on the hoop to secure the strips and carefully place the outside hoop on top.  Open the screw generously so it's easy to adjust the strips and then tighten, adjusting as you need to (doing so before the glue dries), making the woven strips look nice and flat. I hadn't trimmed off the excess paper strips yet, just in case one of the strips needed adjusting. I turned them to the inside, applied Collage Medium underneath and on top of the whole backside of the hoop. After it dried, I then trimmed my strips, but if you're braver than me, you could trim them first and then apply the Medium.  I then applied another coat of Collage Medium to the back, just to make it extra secure. (I had visions of the hoop coming apart at the show, so wanted to make it as secure as possible!)


I distressed the edges of my chosen Photo Booth photos and stitched down both sides before adhering to my hoop. To finish off my piece, I tinted some Typography letters (TH93584) with Alcohol Ink and adhered to my hoop with Collage Medium and added in the &(Ampersand) from the new Stencil Chips (TH93954).  There's also a Quote Chip (TH93563) and Metallic Quotation Stickers(TH93559).  
That Completes my project!  I think I'm going to make another one using the new Travel Collage Paper (TH93950) which is a map, when that one arrives in February!  I wish we had taken more of these photobooth photos when we were growing up, love them! 


Here's another look at my finished project! Hope you visit me again, I have more to share!

Thanks for visiting me and thank you so much for your kind and wonderful comments, they are much appreciated!

Jan 

8 comments

scrappergirl56 said...

It looks like fabric, too! It is amazing what the Collage Medium can do for us...I use so much of it! So many fabulous project ideas, so little time...LOL.

ArtfullyJune said...

Love this and will use it as inspiration. I quickly added paper strips to a hoop I had today but nothing like yours.

Sweta Parag Mehta said...

Simply awesome....such a unique way of using the hoop...��

Paula Cheney said...

The MOST asked about project at the show! I hope people read your tutorial!!

Crestajune said...

Thank you for sharing your process. I loved this project in all of the booth videos I saw of Creativation. I really thought those strips were fabric! :)
Beautiful work! ♥

Desiree House said...

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your process.

NZAyles said...

I NEVER comment on blog posts, to be honest I only ever accidentally find them as I'm not super computer-following blogs-literate, but OMGoodness I had to comment here. I LOVE this and am going to have to attempt to do something similar, I think maybe for Christmas. Thanks for all your wonderful instructions. Cheers.

Diane Parduski said...

I just found you on stamping up, I can’t tell you how happy I did!! This is absolutely beautiful!! I just started reading some of your blog and can’t wait to read more. I guess cleaning the closet will probably have to wait once again. I can’t wait to try something like this with pictures of my family. Like you I wish we took more pictures inside those photo booths...who would have thought. Thank you so much for showing your talent.

Back to Top