THE HAUNTED DOOR - TIM HOLTZ HALLOWEEN IDEA-OLOGY RELEASE 2019

Hello fellow crafters! Today I'm sharing part of a halloween make created for the Tim Holtz Ideaology Facebook live 2019.  Love everything in this release, especially my biggest weakness, the patterned paper!  I'm getting so behind in my blog posts, before I know it, Halloween will be here!  I have projects on the go, projects to share, last year's projects to finish.....can anyone else relate to my crafting chaos?  


My haunted door all started with the new Tim Holtz Halloween Creepy Eyes(TH93984). How could you not love these eyes!  I've seen  Halloween doorbells with big eyeballs in the shops at halloween, so I decided to re-create one using last year's Stamper's Anonymous Etcetera Tombstone overlay and a large Etcetera tag.  There are new overlays that are shipping very soon! I'm sharing the front of this project today and will share the inside later.


The top and bottom tombstone overlays fit over the large Etcetera tag.



After adhering the overlay with Ranger's Collage Medium, I painted over everything with Black Gesso.  I'm never sure what I'm going to do with a project, so it's always a good idea to gesso the raw surface with either a white, or in this case black, gesso.


Originally, I wasn't going to have a door that opens, and then I decided to go for it.  What did I get myself into?!  I had a piece of black chipboard which I cut with my craft knife to fit the area that is recessed.  Using a piece of paper from the amazing new Abandoned Mini Paper Stash (TH93962) for my front door, I decided to also add some texture with the Tim Holtz 3D Lumber Texture Fade (662718). This door was wider than my texture fade and die-cutter, so I just cut my paper in two pieces (I cut where there was an embossed line down the texture fade) and embossed both.  These two were then adhered to my chipboard. You can't even tell where the seam is after it's finished.  Ranger's Crackle Texture Paste was applied randomly, mostly on the outed edges of the textured door front.  I set this aside to dry and finish after I got the tag base completed.


I applied Tim Holtz Grit Paste to the top and bottom and let dry.


Once this had dried, I painted the entire surface with Distress Paint using a dry brush method. ( I seem to use this a lot as some of you know... it's so relaxing!  Just like fussy cutting!) I have a more detailed description here and here.  Even the areas that have been gessoed have a slight texture that shows up with the paint.


Next, I adhered the Skull Adornment (TH93979) to the centre.

I applied a small amount of Ranger's Crackle Texture Paste around the skull.  After this dried, I applied Distress Crayon in the cracks, then Distress Paint to blend in.  The skull also was painted.


With Distress Mixed Media Heavystock (TDA53835), I coloured with Gathered Twigs Distress Spray Stain, and Distress Oxides in various browns and a bit of Spiced Marmalade. I used two pieces and die-cut with Tim's Sizzix Tangled Twigs (663086) Thinlits die.  Love this die!



These pieces were cut apart and adhered to the top.  After I decided which part to use over and around the skull, I cut an X on the part where the skull was, then adhered, cutting away the pieces I didn't need.  Save some twig die-cut for the door!




Next is the doorbell!  I die-cut a Baroque Frame(662693) of Abandoned paper (TH93962) and another piece, same size with black cardstock.  Using one size larger of the frame, one piece from Metallic Kraftstock, another same size of black cardstock.  Adhere the black piece behind the patterned or metallic, just offsetting it slightly.  You can barely see it behind, but it also gave it a bit more thickness.  The metallic was sanded around the edges.  I also applied grit paste to a few areas, and painted this after it dried, to make it look rusted.  Adhere the patterned paper piece on top of the metallic.  Before adhering to the door front, finish off the door. The edges of the door were slightly sanded.  I coloured and accented the crackle with Distress Crayons and diluted Distress Ink, then applied my 'Tangled Twig' die-cuts.  A Mini Hardware (TH93571) doorknob( painted, then some paint rubbed off) was attached over a keyhole sticker from the new Curiosities Sticker Book (TH93969).


My Creepy Eye was slightly coloured with Alcohol Ink (mushroom, I think).  A tiny bit of Black Soot, applied with a pin, was added to look like veins.  I used a Q-tip for the mushroom.  Adhere this to the middle.  My "Push To Ring" was black cardstock die-cut with the Sizzix Alphanumeric Label Thinlits Die (664177).  


The bottom of the door frame was finished off with foliage die-cut from my Distress Oxide coloured heavystock, using Funky Foliage Thinlits die set (663087), Bouquet Findings (TH93569) dyed with Distress ink sprays, and a Halloween Quote Chip (TH93978) that was distressed and crackled with Crackle Texture Paste.  
I'm just going to mention that I created my own hinge for the door on the backside, before it was covered.  If you want to create one and apply it to the front, I would decide this and do it before your paper was applied to the front.  You could also use metal hinges on your door.


Here's another look at my Haunted Door front, hope you have found some inspiration for your own Haunted Door!  Stay tuned for part two,  what's behind the door!

Thanks so much for visiting,

see you soon.... Jan

1 comment

scrappergirl56 said...

So much spooky inspiration in this make....bring on part 2, excited to see what lies behind the door....Ring, Ring....LOL!

Back to Top