CHRISTMAS ETCETERA SLEIGH PART 1 - IDEA-OLOGY CHRISTMAS 2019

Hello everyone!  Today I have part one of a project I created for the Tim Holtz Christmas Idea-ology 2019 Facebook live.  I'm sharing how I created this 'sleigh' for my Christmas vignette.


I love creating vignettes, but I wanted something different other than a box or a flat structure for my base.


Don't ask me how I came up with this idea of creating a sleigh from Etcetera Bracket Trim(THETC-010)parts, but I know if I stare at something long enough, something is bound to click!  I seem to do a lot of 'staring' when trying to come up with an idea in my crafting projects, lol!  Any of you have the same problem?  All I  can say is, just start experimenting with whatever crazy idea you come up with.  If it doesn't work out, you just take it apart and try something different.  I hate throwing out perfectly good foam, chipboard, packaging bits, anything that might come in handy.  Look at all the leftover negative pieces in these Etcetera trim sheets!  You will need 4 of the smallest trims for the runners.  See where I've cut out the negative piece; you will need two of the end pieces to attach your runners. That leftover large piece will be your base, just trim off the end so it is flat like the opposite side.


I used really tiny nails with Collage Medium applied first to attach these end pieces as there's not a lot of area to work with.  Just warning you though, the chipboard can split, so if you can think of anything else, let me know!  Dressmaker pins maybe?  I will be reinforcing these later.



Once I had the sides secured, I adhered the 'runner' Etcetera Trims to these sides with Collage Medium.  Let these dry.


I use Idea-ology Collage Paper or tissue paper and Collage Medium to secure projects.  It's like using paper mâché.  Just cut small strips and apply a few layers.  I've used this method when making my own boxes (the corners), or just to strengthen something.  The tissue is thin enough that, once covered or painted, it doesn't show very much. This was to make sure my sleigh didn't come apart easy when handled.


After the runners were dried, I applied white gesso to the entire sleigh base.


Using a Mini 4.5 x 8" Etcetera Tag (ETC004), I gessoed the back side (or both sides) and covered the top with Idea-ology woodgrain paper (Christmas Paper Stash TH93988).


Before adhering these two parts together, I crackled the runners and parts of sleigh tag top with Ranger's Opaque Crackle Texture Paste INK57505.  After the paste was dry, I rubbed in Distress Crayons. Scribble the colour on and with a very small amount of water on my finger, rub it into the cracks to accent.  To age the crackle even more, apply a small wash of Distress ink.  I apply the ink to my craft mat, spritz some water on it, then with a brush, apply.


I just applied a coat of Distress paint on the underneath, but I would probably cover that Etcetera base part with paper or thin chipboard if it was for myself.  I wanted to leave it bare, so everyone could see  what I used for the  base.


That is how I created my Etcetera Sleigh!  Stay tuned for the rest of the tutorial!

Hopefully I can get that done soon, I'm so behind in sharing all my projects and creating more!  October was not a good month for me! I've been battling a dreadful cold for three weeks, fell and sprained my wrist, bruised my sternum, and then to end the month on a very low note, my dog who developed heart problems this year, collapsed and we had to say good-bye to our sweet Roxy.  Whew, I think I've had enough; here's to hopefully, more crafting, a good ending to a not so good year!

See you soon, and thanks for stopping by,

Jan



7 comments

JoanneGib said...

Jan, this is absolutely brilliant! You’re so clever turning the scraps into the sleigh. I love it. Thanks for sharing the details with us. I will definitely look at the scraps a bit more closely.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This looks great.

Daria said...

I am so excited to finally see this post. I thought your sleigh was a creative fantastic idea. Thank you for posting. I enjoy all your creativeness!

scrappergirl56 said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your fur-baby. They are such large parts of our lives and our hearts. Hope you are mending, both physically and mentally from your fall and loss. This is such a fabulous project, can hardly wait to seen the next post. I have problems throwing "good" stuff away as well...LOL. Hubby calls me a clutter-bug.

LA said...

Soooo clever! Thank you for sharing.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Pinned this! Turning the pieces into a sleigh is absolutely genius! Fabulous Christmas piece!

Redanne said...

So very sorry for the loss of your beloved pet, and I hope you are feeling much better after your fall, you really have had a time of it!

I am so glad that someone else uses all the left over pieces, I cannot bear to throw them away and use them for raising projects up. Your sleigh is absolutely stunning and I am definitely going to try and make one too now, such a clever idea, beautifully executed! Thanks so much for the inspiration. Anne x

Back to Top